BCSC Voice Group, Analyst, 1989
Collection and analysis of BC Government telephone network
usage patterns to identify cost saving potentials within the BC Tel rate
structures. TSO SAS, TPX, Dynaplan. Included collection of data from
switch async ports.
- Microtel Pacific Research Vanc.: Telephone Network Manager Development
- Bell Northern Research: ISDN Telephone Switch Code Development.
- Dept Nat Defense/Royal Roads: C Development of Voice Synthesis software.
- IBM Canada: Computer Operations, SQL/REXX programming.
- Hudsons Bay: Retail (7 years)
- Cabinetry: Foreman of a 7 person shop.
- Unix OS: AIX, Solaris, Linux, Digital, DGUX, NCR, SCO, Dell SVR4, Minix.
- Other OS: Windows NT/98, VAX, TSO, VM.
- Oracle DB, Parallel, forms and report server.
- Networking: TCPIP, slip, ppp, SNA, ATM, RS232, DCE.
- Web: Apache/SSL, Netscape Comms Server, Java, PHP, CA (SSLeay)
- Languages: C/C++, Smalltalk, Cobal, Fortran, Protel, Lisp
- Scripting: Shell, Tcl/Tk, Perl, PhP
- Security: ssh, ipfilter, ipfw, tcp wrapper
- Services: Pop, DNS, NIS, SMB, LDAP, Kerberos, CICS, MQ.
- Misc: HACMP, SQL, Curses, RCS/CVS.
- BrowseX: Developed a free web browser: Browsex
- Creator of SLS: the first complete freeware Unix OS distribution.
- OS Development, a founding contributing developer of the Linux Operating System.
Beyond my strong technical background and good organizational
skills, have initiated or participated in several firsts:
In depth knowledge of Unix internals was first acquired while
developing Linux kernel device drivers, which subsequently became the
subject of my masters degree: Decomposing The Linux Kernel Into Dynamically
Loadable Modules. I am also the author of the following
initial Linux implementations:
virtual consoles, pty drivers, shared libraries, and the first major
- introduction of TCP/IP to BC Government
- Government mainframe SMTP/Internet mail gateways
- first Unix/Sun boxes in BC Government
- first BC Gov Unix application: an X25 network monitor
- first major BC Government kerberos client: Healthnet
- pilot for BC Government X509 Certificate Authority
- Born: June 28, 1957, Victoria, BC.
- Education: BSc Coop 1989 and MSc 1996 Computer Science, University of Victoria
- Before switch to computers, studied Economics and Math
- Married with 3 children: 7, 6 and 1.
- Interests: Running marathons, Cycling, Internet based software.